How is yellow fever diagnosed?
The symptoms during the initial phase of yellow fever are nonspecific hence diagnosis during this stage can be difficult. Preliminary diagnosis is often made clinically based on the patient’s signs and symptoms, the travel history (when and where), and the related travel activities. Blood tests are available to evaluate those who go on to develop the second phase of the disease.
What is the treatment for yellow fever?
There is no specific curative treatment for yellow fever. Treatment is supportive and aimed at relieving the symptoms of the disease. As previously mentioned, majority of patients who develop symptoms from yellow fever will experience a mild course of illness which will resolve on its own within three to four days.
PREVENTION PREVENTION PREVENTION
Vaccination remains the most effective way of preventing yellow fever.
- The yellow fever vaccine has been used for several decades, and it is a safe vaccine.
- A booster dose is recommended every 10 years for those individuals at risk for continued yellow fever exposure.
- The vaccine is available for adults and children older than 9 months of age.
- It is recommended for travelers to areas where yellow fever is endemic and to local populations who are at risk.
- Several countries require travelers to demonstrate proof of yellow fever vaccination status for entry in order to prevent the importation and transmission of yellow fever.
Effective mosquito-control measures are also an important component for preventing or minimizing the risk of yellow fever.
} Reduce the mosquito population
◦ drain stagnant water
◦ stock fresh water ponds with fish which eat mosquito larva
◦ spray insecticide onto breeding sites if drainage is not possible
◦ Apply larvicides to onto breeding sites if drainage is not possible
◦ use insecticide coils and electric heated mats
Barriers/prevent bites/reduce number of mosquitoes that can bite
◦ screened windows and doors
◦ mosquito nets ITNs/LLINs
◦ Apply insect repellent to the exposed skin.
◦ Use of insecticides in rooms
◦ Apply long acting insecticides on the interior walls of houses